Knoxville Institute of Dermatology is excited to announce the addition of the Fraxel® Dual laser system to our Knoxville office. Simply put, the Fraxel® Dual laser system is the newest, most advanced, and effective cosmetic laser system available in Knoxville. Fraxel® treatment is a revolutionary laser treatment that helps you remove years from your appearance and regain a more youthful look.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Regardless of the level of sun damage you have, or if you just want prevention and maintenance, there’s a Fraxel treatment for you. In short, Fraxel treatment creates smoother, fresher, healthier and younger-looking skin…improved tone, texture and pore size… and the softening of wrinkles and lines.
The Fraxel re:store Dual laser system is specifically designed for skin resurfacing, mild to severe skin damage, fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes and face, discoloration and uneven pigmentation, acne scars, surgical scars, pigmented lesions including age spots and sunspots, melasma (cloak of pregnancy) and actinic keratoses (pre-skin cancers).
Think of your skin as a digital photo that is delicately touched up one spot at a time. Fraxel treatment, likewise, affects a fraction of tissue at a time with thousands of microscopic laser columns – each just one-tenth the diameter of a hair follicle. Then your body takes care of the rest. The laser columns stimulate a natural healing process that works from the inside out, replacing damaged tissue with younger, smoother and healthier skin. The science of fraxel treatment involves three components:
- The epidermis – The outer layer of the skin
- The dermis – Sub-layers of skin that include collagen and elastin
- Microscopic laser columns – Rebuilding skin from the inside out
Under the epidermis is a network of collagen and elastin, which are proteins that keep your skin youthful and tight. But as you age and get more sun exposure, those proteins simply break down faster than your body can rebuild them. As a result, your skin may start to sag and show damage like wrinkles, lines or spots.
This is where Fraxel laser treatment can help. Microscopic laser columns penetrate deep into the dermis to create tiny wounds, which trigger your body’s natural response system to heal those wounds. This process expedites your body’s remodeling of collagen and elastin, which results in tighter, fresher, more youthful-looking skin. This is how Fraxel treatment creates new skin from the inside out.
Just as important are the areas of skin that Fraxel treatment doesn’t touch. Because the treatment is so precise, the laser columns target only a fraction of skin at a time, leaving the surrounding tissue intact. This “fractional” treatment allows your body to heal the skin faster than if the entire area was treated at once.
Pioneering fractional technology. Fraxel treatment is the first fractional treatment of its kind, rejuvenating your skin from the inside out. It works. With more than 500,000 treatments performed, Fraxel has an unparalleled record of research, FDA clearances, proven results and physician endorsements. It fits your lifestyle. Fraxel treatment delivers remarkable results with fast recovery. Add it up, and Fraxel treatment is in a class all its own. There’s simply nothing else like it for safely, effectively improving the appearance of your skin and creating a renewed sense of confidence. The Fraxel re:store Dual laser system is the most advanced laser system made, and it’s only available at Knoxville Institute of Dermatology.
No matter your age, sex or skin color, Fraxel laser treatment can uncover your youthful skin buried within.
For men and women of all ages. Whether you’re in your 30s and just starting to see wrinkles…or in your 60s or older with deeper lines and loose skin; or somewhere in between…The Fraxel family of treatments has an option for your unique skin.
On and off the face. Because the technology is so precise, Fraxel treatment works not only on the face, but also on delicate skin areas like the neck, chest and hands. View more before-and-after photos of the Fraxel Laser Treatments.
Fraxel laser treatment removes years from the skin’s appearance – without the same degree of risks and side effects commonly associated with other procedures. That’s because Fraxel’s team of scientists, physicians, clinicians and engineers are dedicated to developing safe, effective solutions for rejuvenating your skin. The Fraxel track record speaks for itself:
- Excellent safety record with more than 500,000 treatments performed.
- Extensive clinical and tissue research.
- Ongoing clinical trials in a state-of-the-art Fraxel facility in San Francisco Bay Area
- Ongoing testing and research by on-site biomedical engineering team.
- Safe and effective on most skin types, on and off the face, for men and women.
In other words, when you get a Fraxel treatment, you can feel confident You’re receiving a safe, effective procedure. Fraxel treatment is a treatment you can trust.
After the procedure, you will have some degree of redness, swelling or a sunburn sensation, which are sings that your body’s natural healing process is building new skin from the inside out. You can return to routine activities in as little as one hour or, for more aggressive treatments, as soon as a few days. Other precautions: To protect your skin after treatment, wear sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher, avoid direct sun exposure for at least 3 months, and wear a wide-brimmed hat when you’re out in the sun. During your initial consultation, Doctors Anderson and Rahman will determine the best Fraxel laser treatment plan for your desired results. Then, when you’re ready for treatment, it’ll be done right in your physician’s office. Here’s what happens:
- The area of your skin to be treated is thoroughly cleansed.
- A topical anesthetic ointment is applied
- About 60 to 90 minutes later, once the anesthetic has taken full effect, treatment begins.
- The treatment takes just 20 to 25 minutes for a full face.
- Then the anesthetic is completely removed.
- Now we let the healing process begin, from the inside out.
The Fraxel® Dual is a combination of the previous 1550nm wavelength laser and the newer 1927nm wavelength laser, which only the Dual laser has. With the older Fraxel®, 4 treatments were recommended, now the same correction with the Dual can usually be done in only 3 treatments, which means less time to achieve your desired results, more convenience and lower cost. Additional improvements in the new Fraxel® Dual include:
- Faster treatment times – With upgrades in the software, you can cut treatment times by about 25% and have no degradation in effectiveness.
- More comfort – The new handpiece has an integrated Zimmer Cooling Device (cold air) which allows for the skin to be chilled directly where the treatment is occurring.
- Groundbreaking pigment eradication – The new 1927nm wavelength allows for a very superficial resurfacing which can eliminate pigmentation from melasma, hyperpigmentation, sun damage, actinic keratosis safely in all skin types, on all parts of the body.
- Extremely comfortable – Very little, if any topical anesthesia is needed for using just the 1927nm laser. This allows for large surface areas to be treated in a single session.
- Superficial resurfacing similar to a superficial CO2 laser resurfacing – Without the downtime or wound care. It is partially ablative, partial non-ablative.
- When used simultaneously with the 1550nm laser, you get more effective resurfacing – a superficial and deep resurfacing – leading to less treatments for the same results.
- Safe for all skin types and all body surfaces.
BEFORE & AFTER GALLERY
To access your portal, type kid.ema.md into a Mozilla Firefox browser. Your username will be your personal email address that needs to be provided to the front desk staff. A link will be sent to that [...]
Nathan Bowers began his training by earning a PhD in Immunology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Driven by a lifelong desire to care for patients in a clinical setting, he then [...]
Knoxville Institute of Dermatology is excited to announce our newest location in Morristown! We will be located in the Baptist Eye Surgeons building and seeing patients starting in January 2023. Call our office today [...]
Jordan Ridder graduated with her BS in biology from the University of Kentucky in 2012, then went on to complete her MMS in Physician Assistant Studies at Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic [...]
Thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we have taken the progressive steps to keeping our practice open for all of your dermatological needs during these unprecedented times. As always, the health [...]
It's almost October 29th and our physicians and staff are PSO excited to celebrate World Psoriasis Day! World Psoriasis Day is a campaign held annually on October 29th aiming to bring awareness to this [...]