At Knoxville Institute of Dermatology, we believe that a good cosmetic procedure result is one that helps you look fresh and well rested, but not “done.” Our philosophy is to help our patients achieve a more youthful age-appropriate appearance that complements their natural features.
The American Academy Of Dermatology suggests five things you can do to get optimal results from fillers:
- Find a doctor who knows the skin (such as a board-certified dermatologist) and injects fillers regularly.
- Look for pictures of yourself from a time when you were happy with your appearance.
- Ask to see before-and-after photos of patients whom the dermatologist has treated with fillers.
- Tell your dermatologist about all past cosmetic treatments (i.e., fillers, laser treatments) and surgeries you’ve had.
- Give your dermatologist a list of the medicines and supplements you take.
Preparing for your appointment:
- An average filler appointment can last between 30-60 minutes.
- Avoid things that can thin the blood for about 7 days prior to appointment. Things like Aspirin, Ibuprofen, fish oil, Vitamin E, garlic, red wine. ***If you were prescribed blood thinner by your physician, you should NOT stop taking unless otherwise specified.
After your appointment:
- There is a risk for bruising, redness, swelling, itching, and tenderness. Applying a cold compress or can alleviate these symptoms.
- Minimize exposure of the treated area to the sun or heat for approximately 24 hours after treatment.
- No exercise except for walking for 24-48 hours after the procedure.
- Remember, it can take from 1-2 weeks for full results of cosmetic treatments to take effect.